Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Know who you are before you go.......


This came in from a guy who showed up for a group ride with a race team...

Comments: To the Ranchos cycling team in Escondido
Thanks for waiting up for me!
This Memorial Day weekend I spent the weekend with family in Fallbrook, CA and thought I could get a ride in with some of the locals. I emailed the Ranchos cycling team and they let me know where to meet them for a Saturday ride. They sounded like a great group to ride with and their website encouraged riders and newcomers to ride along…” If you want to ride with a group of riders that are safe yet fast, serious yet willing to wait for you if you flat, who are willing to teach and learn, and just all around fun, come out and ride with the Ranchos.”
I arrived in Escondido only to be snubbed by the person that I was corresponding with. Only one person took the time to chat a little. They didn’t give me any indication that this was going to be a “race to the finish” type of ride. They did inform me of the distance, which was no big deal, but during the ride there were no riders that took me under the wing. I’m not looking for pity, but they could’ve said, “ hey dude, this is gonna’ get pretty tough we got big hills ahead be prepared” or even “ you might want to think about turning up at this next street ‘cause we’re gonna’ be taking this hill full sprint for the next few miles.”
…They’re not a group willing to bring anyone new along. If they were training, as a team, for an event then they should have let me know and I could have rode with someone else. I would never recommend riding with this group of guys who don’t mind leaving riders behind and there is definitely no “willing to teach and learn” aspect.I was lost in the hills and climbed out a gruesome hill called Cole Grade Rd. They need to change their website and I discourage people coming out to ride with them. Pricey outfits and bad sportsmanship is all you’ll get. http://www.ranchoscycling.org
THANKS

So, I relied-


Wow David, that's a bummer. I read your "review" of the ranchos and I have to say I've had a polar opposite experiences with them....
Like you, I live in Norcal and have family in Escondido. Same deal, I looked em up, saw they were a racing club, made contact, and showed up..... same reception as you met with but I have ridden with a bunch of these groups and its ALWAYS the same - some kinda guy thing- once you prove yourself, your in. Now I go out with them and make sure we all hurt-

As it turns out, over the yrs of riding w/ them whenever I'm down there, I've made some friends in the group and am very close with the person heading up the team- Same prick was cold to me till he was in oxygen debit! And then he was great - ;-)

From the Ranchos site: If you want to ride with a group of riders that are safe yet fast, serious yet willing to wait for you if you flat, who are willing to teach and learn, and just all around fun, come out and ride with the Ranchos.

Am I missing something? Where is there any commitment to hand holding?

In looking at their website, its clearly a race group. Which is necessary when your looking for a group to ride with to know this. If I went to a site and saw pics of guys w/ helmet mirrors or riding recumbents I would know this is not what I'm looking for- I find it hard to believe you would not see this on their site - or when you showed up just look around at the guys there and know you are in the wrong place.

Maybe not so fair to slam them but write something to those other riders in your situation on how better to assess a group ride and your current fitness fit to a ride?

This could be a better resource for future rides:
National - League of American Bicyclists
The League of American Bicyclists promotes cycling for fun, fitness, and transportation and works through advocacy and education for a bicycle-friendly American
Website: http://www.bikeleague.org/

Just my .2 cents, hope it helps- no offense

No comments: