Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Gonda Submits....

Wolf SL (all carbon) on a Cervelo Soloist Carbon.
About 8,200 miles on the fork. Installed per instructions with the epoxied aluminum insert at a reputable shop (bout new at my LBS). VERY short (I run no spacers at all). FSA OS 115 stem torqued to spec. 155-165# rider. Stopped at an intersection, heading for some hill riding (Indian hill area of course for the Cincy peeps). Started and torqued the bars some to get a jump through the intersection at the green light - SNAP! Down, right in the middle of the intersection. Just about got ran over by the minivan behind me (tire about 2 inches from my leg). Didn't know what happened. Funny part was after the "rescue me" call to the Mrs., a biker comes by to ask if I was OK. He was a BIG guy on a new looking cyclocross bike that he hopped a few curbs and things to get to me. He chuckled seeing me in my roadie kit and my ultralight (15.6 lbs) Cervelo with the steerer snapped. He probably wouldn't have stopped at all if I was in my Tri get up and tribike! We chuckled a sec about our *differences* before he spun off ...



























Broken bike parts have a chain reaction....












Not all breaks are carbon... note Alu steer tube on George's bike-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me thinks it was the torque created Da Gonda's MASSIVE muscles that snapped the fork.