Tuesday, November 6, 2007

and then there's THIS!

Ryan Lipscomb, who lived to tell the tale after a truck ran over his head, safely ensconced in a bike helmet.
“I didn’t see it coming, but I sure felt it roll over my head,” said the grad student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. “It feels really strange to have a truck run over your head.”
The truck turned in front of him as he rode down a bike path, prompting Lipscomb to slam on his brakes and flip over the handlebars into the path of the truck, which kept on going after rolling over him.
I know people have the freedom to make their own dumb decisions, but I always wonder, especially when I see a parent riding helmetless with their helmeted kids. They’re soooo worried about their kids’ safety, but could care less about whether they themselves will be around to see the kids grow up.
When I was young, invincible and a fool, I didn’t wear a helmet on some days as I worked as a bike courier in DC. The old Bell was big, awkward and hot. Many days I did. But now, I guess I’m a helmet fascist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ouch

griff